Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Personal Style Icon: Lankas and Witch Babies

What is a Lanka or Witch Baby, you may ask? (UGH YOU'RE SO UNCOOL HOW CAN YOU BE READING THIS?? JK I LOVE ALL OF YOU AND YOU ARE ACTUALLY WAY TOO COOL)

According to one of the best books ever, Weetzie Bat, a Lanka is a "beautiful woman with long black hair, purple, tilty eyes, and a long body." (MILD SPOILER IF YOU'RE READING WEETZIE: The Lanka eventually has a baby, which is known as Witch Baby, and looks just like her. ISN'T THAT THE GREATEST NAME EVER?)

When I read that, I was like "YES, THIS IS RAD, THANK U 5EVER WEETZIE!!", because I've always wondered what to call the ~magical~ Lanka look, which is basically witchiness and lots of black and red and lipstick and eyeliner and babeliness.
Lankas (in my mind) are pretty much real badass babes who wear shredded, hanging sleeves, and look spooky and so, so, so rad, while also being * GLAMOROUS* and GAWGOUS.
Here are a few of my most favoritest Lanka/Witch Baby gals HERE TO INSPIRE YOU TO WEAR BLACK EVERY DAY, EVER:

Vampira in Plan 9 From Outerspace 

 (Source)
Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams

 (Source)
A '60s babe working the Lanka look. THOSE EYEBROWS, GUYS.

Unknown
Tura Satana 

Elvira

(Source)
Eternal ~BABE~ Lily Munster

Unknown
My idol, Morticia Addams (she has the most perfect hair of anyone, ever)

 (Source)
Vampira

(Source)
Elvira

(Source)
Morticia Addams

 (Source)
Lily Munster

 Both of these are my interpretation of ~Lankas and Witch Babies~
I basically just thought of Vampira and Morticia and cried to my pen DRAW SOMETHING AS BEAUTIFUL AS THESE PEOPLE, PLEEEEASE


Unknown
HERE'S A GIF to remind you the Addams family is way kewter than you. PLUS MORTICIA'S SLEEVES ARE SO BEAUTIFUL

DON'T YOU WANT TO START A LANKA FAN CLUB/ALTERNATIVE FASHION SCENE, NOW?! Go forth, young ones! Cast a spell, fall in love, and wear lots of black forever and ever and ever... 🌙🌙🌙

xoxo
Psychedelic Daisy

5 comments:

  1. <333 totally down for the Lanka fan club. By the way, your letter is almost ready and I'm hoping to mail it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only am I a huge Weetzie Bat, BUT I AM SO PASSIONATELY IN LOVE WITH ELVIRA! Everything about this post is perfect and now I'm going to burn all my bright, pattern-y clothes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is rad stuff! Her sleeves are soooooooo perfect I must of spent a whole half a minute of my LIFE slavering over my keyboard!

    thecoolcustomer.wordpress.com
    xoxxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to rewatch the Adam family. It was amazing! xx

    The Provocative Couture

    ReplyDelete

♡♡♡Thanks for commenting, babe!♡♡♡